Despite everything...


Today I got a compliment about how lovely my hands are.

I couldn't help the first words out my mouth, 

"These hands?" I asked while shaking my fists in the attendants face. He nodded in the affirmative.

Hours later I kept pondering on my earlier interaction. Was his compliment genuine or a product of pure courtesy? Maybe it was just an offhanded comment because I am positive he had only glanced at my hands. 

Later that evening I took a good look at my hands. I've had them for 25 years but I have never taken the time to look at them, really look at them. Talk more of admiring them. I use them alright, run them through my hair when I'm frustrated, use them to receive parcels and give some family and friends a handshake or pat on the back here or there. 

But look at them? really look at them? I never have. 

Yes I glance at them... Occasionally.

The longest I've had to look would be while washing my hands.

Maybe while tying my shoelace, taking notes or buttoning my shirt. 

Not necessarily in admiration. Just some sort of assurance that my clumsiness at performing these mundane tasks stem from laziness and not temporary paralysis

But...

These hands have served me. These hands have saved me.

These hands save me. These hands serve me.

To a stranger they might be perfect but all I see are working tools. 

Raising them to the moonlight, I smile.

"Thank You hands for remaining a blessing. Its surprising how despite everything... You still look pretty amazing! Even worthy of compliments".

We may never fully appreciate every part of our body but they distinguish us from everyone else. These parts are unique to us. The peculiarity of every slope, curve, texture and design makes us attractive to people around us. Appreciate your body today because despite everything, it still serves you.


PhotoCredit: Unsplash.com

Comments

Mira Okpala said…
Welldone dear. Good to have you writing once again.
Janet Etuk said…
Thank You @Mira Okpala. It's so good to hear from you.
Chacha said…
Beautiful 🥰, can't wait to read more, more grace dear
Michael Opara said…
Indeed, we never really get to appreciate the finished work of the master sculptor, how beautiful they are on us, until we give them some deep thoughts.

It's amazing what little, little compliments here and there can do to our spirits!
Unknown said…
It's a beautiful write up
Awesome work
Rallybabs Jnr said…
It's a nice piece. Keep it up!
I have a similar experience in Junior High. My French tutor, in whom all students were totally engulfed in puppy love.

I mean, the son of a local man. I will never forget those kind words. "You have pretty fingers", she said firmly, with smiles shimmering like a market woman who just found her lost purse.

From that day till my dying day, my best piece of me remains these pretty little fingers. Nice compliments are therapeutic.

Nice read. I am super excited you broke out of THE block.
Looking forward to THE big bang story.
Unknown said…
Fiction stretches our sensibility and our understanding
Janet Etuk said…
@ChaCha... Thank You so much for reading. Hopefully my creative juices keeps flowing.
Janet Etuk said…
I agree totally with you @Unknown
Janet Etuk said…
@Michael Opara... I love your perspective on this. Thank You for reading
Janet Etuk said…
Thank You @Rallybabs Jnr
Janet Etuk said…
Thank You for reading @Unknown
Janet Etuk said…
@Saint Success Imakuh... I can totally relate. To me, hands are now considered the Holy Grail.
Janet Etuk said…
@Muyiwa Adesina, Thank You for reading.
Unknown said…
Nice write up
It worth the time reading through...
Best wishes, now as always.
Janet Etuk said…
@Unknown... Thank you for reading.
Janet Etuk said…
@Judith Onuorah, Thank You so much for reading

Popular posts from this blog

Lost

RESCUE